ENTREPRENEUR AND SMALL BUSINESS EDUCATION SERIES
The Entrepreneur and Small Business Education Series is a partnership between the Downtown Long Beach Alliance and Long Beach State University’s Institute of Innovation & Entrepreneurship. The education series is focused on providing the tools and skills needed to start and run a successful business. The Entrepreneur and Small Business Education Series is a six-week program. Long Beach State University will provide a certificate of accomplishment to those who complete the entire program.
Week 1: The Value of a Business Plan, April 2
- What is a Business Plan
- Creating a Business Model Canvas
Week 2: Your Marketing Plan, April 9
- Writing your Marketing Plan
- How to do Digital Marketing
Break for Easter: April 16
Week 3: Financial Aspects of Your Business, April 23
- Accounting Basics
- Funding Opportunities – Becoming Bankable!
Week 4: Where to Locate Your Business, April 30
- Site Selection
- Negotiate A Lease
Week 5: Legal and HR Questions, May 7
- Legal Structures
- Human Resource Basics
Week 6: May 14, * PitchFest:
A certificate ceremony – Participants that have attended all 10 modules will walk out with a certificate and a self-developed business plan in hand.
Furthermore, businesses that have attended all 10 modules will also be eligible to pitch to a panel of judges for an opportunity to receive prize money from Farmers & Merchants Bank totaling $20,000.
Pitchfest is for all qualified potential award recipients to present their business plan. All start-up or expansion costs are itemized and defined in the applicant’s week 6 pitch.
Week 7: June 8, *DLBA Economic Development Committee
Target Audience: Existing and Potential Downtown Business Owners, Entrepreneurs, Start-Ups, and Small Business owners
Potential Class Size: 30-40 per session
Education Series Facilitators
- Dr. Ingrid Martin, California State University, Long Beach – College of Business
- Dr. Wade Martin, California State University, Long Beach – Institute for Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Darilyn O’Brien, California State University, Long Beach – College of Business
- Dean Heiss, California State University, Long Beach –Beach Incubator
- Sabrina Landa, California State University, Long Beach – College of Business
- Dr. Kerri Cissna, California State University, Long Beach – College of Business
- Ashleigh Stone, Esq. Attorney & Founder at Stone Law Frim, PC
- Aleks Lason,VP and Chief Operating Officer at Chrilleks
- Austin Metoyer, Economic Development & Policy Manager at Downtown Long Beach Alliance
- Karie Armstrong, Small Business Development Center – Long Beach
Register for the Education Series
Date: April 2 – May 14
Time: 8 am-Noon each consecutive Saturday, except for Saturday, April 16
Location: Studio One Eleven (245 E. 3rd Street, Long Beach CA 90802)
Cost to Attend: FREE to attend for Existing and Potential Downtown Business Owners and CSULB Students (Value of $1,350)
Sign up below to be the first to know when the registration form is available.