- This event has passed.
Parklets to Open Streets – Successful Public Space Strategies to Support Local Business
January 28, 2021 @ 5:30 pm - 6:30 pmFREE
Join us for a discussion about successful public space strategies to support local businesses including the Long Beach Open Streets Initiative and Glendale Al Fresco Program! We will be talking about:
- Parklets, Open Streets and Al Fresco programs as tools to support local business activity
- Planning and Implementation, especially during COVID
- Advantages and Challenges including BID/Business owners’ perspective on design, operations and maintenance
- Where do we go from here
- How will/can these initiatives evolve and future outlook/prospects for activating streets
- April Walker, Project Management Officer, Public Works Special Projects Division, City of Long Beach
- Kraig Kojian, President, Downtown Long Beach Alliance
- Luis Navarro, CEO, Navarro Hospitality Group
- Jennifer Hiramoto, Acting Assistant Director – Community Development, City of Glendale
- Raul Porto, Owner, Porto’s Bakery, Glendale, CA
- Shruti Shankar, Senior Urban Designer, Studio One Eleven (Moderator)
After attending this panel, participants will be able to:
Describe the benefits of parklets, sidewalk dining and other open streets initiatives and their relevance to retail resilience and vibrant streets.
Discuss the key factors and challenges in getting parklets and sidewalk dining projects designed and implemented, and the changes brought about by COVID.
Apply the learnings to partner with other stakeholders to conceptualize and permit parklet and sidewalk dining projects.
Explore opportunities and from the City of Long Beach and the City of Glendale’s process, advocate for such projects in other cities in LA County.