As the economy reopens and restrictions are slowly relaxed, Downtown bicycling activity is bound to increase. DLBA’s Public Safety Team wishes to use June – National Safety Month – to remind cyclists of six simple guidelines to ensure safety for themselves and their fellow cyclists.
Downtown Long Beach offers protected bike lanes along Broadway and Third Street, organized bicycle parking, and stunning, expansive views on its beach and river paths. Before your next Downtown cycling excursion, please keep these Safe Six tips in mind:
- Make sure you have all essential equipment including helmet, sunglasses, and water bottle.
- Perform a safety check of your entire bicycle, including tire pressure, brakes, seat height, and lights for rides at dusk.
- Stay off sidewalks and pedestrian pathways in business districts.
- Observe all traffic laws just as vehicles must, including not texting while riding.
- Be courteous to other riders, pedestrians, and vehicles.
- Always secure your bike properly and be sure to register your bike with the National Bike Registry at bikeregistry.com.
To enhance your Downtown bike explorations, DLBA bike maps are available at Pedal Movement at 223 East First Street. You can also ask any Safety Ambassador for a map, which they keep on hand.
DLBA’s Public Safety Team wishes you “Happy Cycling” and encourages you to always practice the Safe Six!